Friday, January 21, 2011

**Mini Rant #4** Bus Woes

 


   I would like to start by saying that Washington has one of the best bus services around.  I am not only saying this because it is my main transportation around town.  The last place I lived in didn't have a bus service at all.  So compared WTA is gold!  If done right, and you have enough free time, you can ride public transport across the entire state.   And it won't cost you much.  It is waaaaaay more reliable and on time than Greyhound.   And once you are in Bellingham, you can catch a bus every 15 minutes.   Living in the boon docks aka BFE, getting rid of all free bus transfers is a little harsh.  But a month bus pass here, unlimited rides is still only 25 bucks.  Compared to most big city's that's a deal and a half, plus worth some inconvenience.  
    That mouthful said, my rant today is about Flex drops.   With budget cuts and such, buses out of town are more limited than ever.  It takes over an hour to ride the bus to places like Blaine.   But it is were I call home at the moment.  Several of the few routes include Flex stops.  Riders, mainly in beautiful, water slide less Birch Bay, can call in ahead of time, and get dropped off or picked up basically at their front door.   What convience!   Unless you are a rider that doesn't reside in Birch Bay.  The other day, we suffered through exactly 12 Flex stops.  And got to tour Birch Bay for 45 minutes.  
    After the great tour, I eventually got dropped off at the Blaine supermarket.  Not my front door by the way.   And than walked the mile plus to my home.  This is fine, last time I checked I was able bodied and not afraid of a few thousand rain drops.   But most of the people getting off at their own front doors were also very able bodied.   Most the other day seemed to be teenagers. 
    Walking is good for you, and maybe more people my age and younger should walk much more.   Plus a long walk could give some the valuable time to toke it up before they get home to mommy and daddy that don't know their kids smoke.  If these people were handicapped, kids, or over 80 I would be all for being patient while the bus driver got lost looking for someones driveway.   But otherwise if I can walk, I'm pretty sure the teenagers can too.   Drink some more coffee for energy, grab a backpack and some balls!   Or better yet, stay off the bus.

No comments:

Post a Comment