Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Big Horn Turns 130! Now Thats A Birthday Cake!!




  Now the official day was just over a week ago.   And like most birthdays, I seem to be late mentioning it.  I am even now in the wrong month!   But luckily for me, this particular birthday goes on all year long.   Huge history goes along with the town.   If you do not feel like cracking open any books, just ask most of the residents.    I grew up in the small town, maybe village so really was not expecting much for the celebration.  And in a way I was right.  I never really have stayed put well, but did live in three houses in Big Horn.   The last right below the school, for around five years, a record in our household.   The town does offer some great exploring and is the gateway to the Big Horn Mountains.  


   This celebration might have really got kickin' after I left, and the bar crowds started to wake up.  But was kind of what one might expect from an extremely small, but great town.   At five P.M. a cannon was shot and the Calvary Band marched down the main street.   This remains one of the only towns in the area, with no stop lights.   The band played in the middle of the street for awhile--perfectly as always, and than marched into the Bozeman Bar.   With only two bars in town, I wander how long the band stuck around?    Down by the old museum, other exhibits were to be found.   And the trolley took riders to other great sights in Big Horn.   Above is a picture of the Bozeman Bar.   Which has recently been beautifully restored.  I worked there years and years ago, and I believe the bathroom sewer pipes just emptied out under the building at that time.  I know for sure there was a huge hole in the middle of the kitchen floor, you had to inch around to get through the kitchen.   Now it is an extremely nice bar/restaurant inside and out!
Inside--Fireplace I would
Love to have in my bedroom.  Complete with the huge  bottles of course!


   I am not sure I can say the same for The Merc.   It has also been restored.  But it has lost much of it's great flair in my eyes.   Losing the wood plank floors was the worse for my memory banks.  I spent many an hour trying to get the silver dollar pieces out of the floor boards.    The outside of the building looks just the same, but the inside just isn't even close to the same.   For the worse in my eyes.   

   If you travel the main dirt road between these two great buildings- towards the school  you end up passing one of the koolest houses I ever lived in.   Pictured above.   A creek ran through most of the yard, and we had an almost park like environment to enjoy.   Right across the street was one of the areas very neat buildings to photograph.  It also was home to many a bat when we lived in this house.   Just past the old church  was this bridge.   Home to many an underage smoker, and after school fight.   But still a very tranquil spot.  


   Just up from there is the hill leading up to the schools.   Still probably the smallest school district in the area.   With our huge rivals-Tongue River being a close second.   It is also the home of the Mighty Big Horn Rams--and were I done graduated one year awhile back.   We had 26 graduates the year I received my diploma.   I had a chance to explore the new high school last spring, and was far from impressed.   The outside looks a lot like a prison and every room and hallway inside has no character, and looks exactly the same.  But I am sure the builders did what they were told.   


To the left is a  last picture of the old high school takin sometime last summer.   At  the gym entrance.   This building was finished in the mid 90's and did not seem all that old.  And defiantly had a LOT more character than the new buildings!

The "spirit rock" out front of the buildings and parking lot. 
Seniors try to keep there year date stamped on the rock, knowing that under class man have spray paint also.   The best year in awhile?   I'd have to say 97!"
Leaving the school and taking a left, will eventually take you right up the Rockie Mountains.  Up a twisty dirt road, that is closed all winter for snowmobilers.   Great views, hikes, and huge amounts of wildlife can be found on every trip.   Stop at the springs, barley up the mtn side, for some of the best water you have tasted for awhile.  If you are really adventurous, drive all the way across the mountain and come out on the Dayton side--a good 40 miles past Sheridan, but a long drive.   Well worth it if you have spare time and lots of gas.   But the road closures allow for a very bumpy ride.  If you choose to stay on paved roads, spend some time at Bradford Brighton.  Or follow the meandering river back into town.   Stand on the Bozeman Trail


    Just beyond this marker is were my Grandmother lived.   Another very old house.  
Visit the  Mount Hope cemetery.    With some of the oldest memorials around.   I always think cemetery's are interesting to explore.  

                                This grave stone just happens to belong to my grandparents.  
  I was not able to make it home when my grandmother died.  And that caused conflict with me for a number of years.   Just visiting the grave last summer, was amazingly calming and brought things full cycle in a way.   I never meet my grandpa--but know they were both amazing people!
     Visit the huge polo fields just out of town.   Many weekends you can watch a match even.  The below picture is takin near one of the main entrances.   If you journeyed this far, a visit to the bird farm is well worth it!   And if you hit at the right time of the year, you can be surrounded by baby birds.   So cute!




                                   

   A few places to mention on the way back into Sheridan-----

Sheridan Collage has a great campus to explore.   Look for the tower building, and see a huge swinging pendulum clock.   View some of the koolest military vehicles around. 




    Landons green house has a huge area to explore.   And just past that used to be this huge old barn.   This picture was takin' last year.  It has sense been dismantled--its wood to be used in future kitchens. 



Visit the Holiday Inn for a drink or Two and see if the waterfall is running.   I used to sit in
the huge lobby to use wi-fi  and would have to use the restroom a lot if the waterfall was on.  The motel hosts events all year round also.   Hit Wally World, maybe before your trip to Big Horn, for some cheap snacks



The old sugar mill stack lends for some great pictures.  I have many of the building.  This one my parents took, but it is very awesome!   The old Mill Inn offers some good pictures also.  It has been converted into a motel, so you can also spend the night.  



  And of course just before you leave/enter Sheridan is Starbucks.  For that instant pick me up--or free wi-fi time.  This one has a drive thru which is always nice.  


No comments:

Post a Comment