Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Exploring Bellingham One Fine Day!




Zoom in on the sign above Coffee Junction 
at the Fairhaven Station


       Many events happen in or around Bellingham every day.  For every type of hobby or passion. It is nearly imposable to keep up with them all.  If you have word of or are holding a great event in the new future-please feel free to contact me about it, and I will include your event in an upcoming blog post.    pontos62or@yahoo.com   or on my new Facebook page  ---- 
  1. Wyoming Jack/Bobble Head's Blogs Exploring Bellingham & Whatcom county         Long name---cool sight, if I do say so myself.  


    One event our family looks forward to every year is the Northwest Washington fair in Lynden.  It is a very large fair, and the community makes it very home town like and a great time.   I recommend taking the bus because available parking is usually on the far side of town.  This year the fair runs August, which happens to be this month, 13 through the 18th.  
    Beyond all of the booths and animals and such here is a listing of the big night events.
    Monday --- The Demo Derby!   1 P.M. & 7 P.M.   $18 for the early show  $23 at night.
    Tuesday --- The Oak Ridge Boys     7:30 P.M.       $29
    Wednesday --- Chris Tomlin     7:30 P.M.                  $33
    Thursday ---  Heart       7:30 P.M.                            $48
    Friday ---  Billy Currington  7:30 P.M.                     $48
    Saturday --- Roar & Rumble  *Monster truck/motorcycle  7:30 P.M.    $12 kids  $23

       I hope to see everyone there.  And also hope that last years shooting does not keep anyone from enjoying the fun!

    Speaking of great fairs, last weekend found us at the Stanwood, WA fair.   Blog post about this coming very soon.   
                      Today's picture of the day comes from the Stanwood fair.   

        For a mere $100 you can buy a piglet and some day feed everyone in your community with lots of bacon.   I always thought a pig would be a great pet, you can box toilet train them and everything.   I just see coming home from work one night to the smell of cooked pig.  Maybe not after the kiddos and us had named the piglet  and raised it.   Just recall that these cuties turn into full sized pigs at some point.  

       Today's post is a rambling of sorts of some of the neat events we have attended during the last week or so.  Filled with lots of pictures of course.  

          Just a few days ago we enjoyed a small car show that was held in the Home Depot parking lot.  




This handcuffed ape tried to steal one of the classic cars.




                                         Band seating, Home Depot style!

   I worked with the company for a short while in Arizona.  And although I did like the job, mostly because it was not Wal Mart *I worked with them for eight long years* the only thing I learned that I really enjoyed at Home Depot   was that if a large group of workers gets caught talking on the sales floor by management, it is called a pumpkin patch.  Because the workers wear those bright orange aprons.  


     One evening Max, our dog, and I ended up by The Fairhaven Terminal and eventually the bay.  In an attempt to wear out Max and get some sunset pictures.   I have gotten some great shots from down there.  But left the house just a little to late on this evening.  In a very near blog post, I will include some of my favorite sun/bay pictures from this area.  But not in today's. 





    The above "sign" I found on the ground in front of the Coffee Junction.    I thought this fit most cups of coffee perfectly no matter what time of day you enjoy your brew. 

The road into the park.
Also leads right to the bay and some great exploring. 


     I have been slacking on pictures of the day--so I bring two this fine day!   Please hold your applause until this blog has come to a complete stop.   This was last Saturday while the family and I chilled at Boulevard Park.  We enjoyed the day and had a quick BBQ.  Quick because the wind coming off of the bay was very chilly for being a July day.   I got a quick shot of this great sail boat cruising by.   This also shows one of the many very popular benches.  I have read that there is a huge list of people that want to dedicate benches to loved ones.  And they pay $500 and up for the honor.   Once again proving I am in the wrong business.  

    


    Last month our oldest son asked us what our favorite building in Bellingham was.  After some thought on the subject--I decided it has to be the old city hall building.  I have a ton of pictures of it.  This one I just took a few days ago.  You can see the building from most of town, and it allows for a great picture from almost any angle.  


     
  I was out exploring the other day and came across this sign possibly written for me, and had to get a quick shot of it.  This was on a caboose.  I have always loved cabooses and am sad that they appear on fewer and fewer trains now a days.  I always thought an abandoned, yet fixed up caboose would make an awesome office space.  Can any alert Bellingham readers tell me were this caboose is located??   My favorite used to be the one on the tracks near the Bellwater motel.  Maybe because "suck it!" was spray painted across the entire front of the caboose.  But this has long since been painted over ;)   This sentence also tells you that the caboose in question is not found down by the Bellwater!



     Anyways speaking of trouble-as we pulled into our apartment complex this afternoon, we were greeted by several police cars in the parking lot.  Not greeted, as they were there to see us, but to visit another neighbor.  Of course everyone else was outside --watching.   One neighbor had all of her doors open, and I was joking about her being busy inside flushing all the evidence because she thought the police were coming to her house.  Similarly one morning when I was still working at a restaurant in Wyoming--- just as I was walking up to the back door to start my work shift, a cop car pulled up from both directions, parking behind me.  I was overly nervous and was ready to assume the position and put my arms up on the wall to be searched.  But they were there for one of our cooks that day.  


       Again speaking of trouble, last Wednesday an armed man robbed one of the banks in the heart of Fairhaven.   He than got away, on bike.  Not a mooter bike, but a bicycle.  We first found out because several helicopters were circling our area, flying very low.  The only one I could recognize was a border patrol helicopter.   Although it seems odd to have the boarder patrol involved, we are very close to the boarder.  And when we lived in Blaine, a boarder town, if you had to call the police, the boarder patrol would show up first.  Anyways, we got online and found out about the bank robbery.   After we locked out front door, I decided to take our dog Max for a ride, and roam around the small town in our car.  I got a few pictures, nothing thrilling at all, mostly of the bank and entire areas police force around town.   

    It took a few hours, but the criminal was caught.   What remains crazy to me, is that in this day and age someone can still rob a bank, and get away.  Even if for a little while.  With all of the cameras and such that are every were.  This isn't the wild wild west anymore.  


      While we lived in Arizona, the land of the sweating sun, banks got robbed all of the time.  One bank robber jumped in a taxi cab to attempt his getaway from the police.   One has to wander what cab driver would allow this, and why the cab driver would accept the fair knowing it would mostly be stolen money.  And the bright yellow color made it an easy mark for the police to follow.   By the time we left the "great" state, people were breaking into construction sights, stealing backhoes and than digging up ATM machines, and than driving off with the machines.  Usually these machines had big chunks of cement stuck to the bottom of them.  Try explaining all that to the police, when you get pulled over for having Bank of America's ATM sticking out of the back of  your pickup truck!



         

     I have been out roaming taking new pictures.  So many exploring blogs are in the works.  
This is downtown on Holly Street.  You can see the rocket statue behind me for Rocket Donuts.  Every time I am in this area, I can smell the donuts and instantly crave one.  Today for the first time I got to fill that craving.  My family and I went in the place.  They have a large dinning area, filled with great sights.  And the donuts are as great as they smell!   They also have lots of selections of coffee and Pepsi in glass bottles.   It just tastes better that way, some how.  



**Cheers!**

No comments:

Post a Comment