Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Lake Padden --Winter 2012


**This was first published in my newest blog series. Please check out all the picture filled posts at http://exploreb-ham.blogspot.com **





       A week into the new year, and I am just now making my first post of the new year.  I hope all of my readers had an overly wonderful Christmas and have at least managed to keep one of your New Years resolutions!!   I have tons of posts, ideas, and improvements for this and my Facebook page---please bear with me ;)   Please check it out if you have Facebook: Wyoming Jack/Bobble Head's Blogs Exploring Bellingham & Whatcom county
      First I wish to share this local picture---- It is down by Boulevard Park and actually goes with last weeks blog post.  But I forgot to add it to the blog.  It started out as a picture I was going to delete, and than I blew the picture up, and well, wow if I do say so myself.   This was shot right before the coffee shop.



      The following is another example --- shot in the same park, near the wooden board walks....



But today we talk about wonderful Lake Padden.
And by we, I mean I!

I have posted about the area before--- but about all the summer activities.
On Christmas Eve, I some how had the day off work, and ventured to the lake, camera in hand. 
I actually had no destination when leaving the house, but was truly coffee fueled!  
Living in Fairhaven -I was not previously aware how close the lake really was to our house.   It is literally -right down the road.  
A week later I returned with our dog, Max and our two oldest kiddos. 


This mirror image almost can not be beat.

Although Bellingham has seen snow all around the town, we still have yet to see the white stuff here.
Last week the kiddos and I were going to venture up Mt Baker to actually see/play in the snow, but it was too cold.   More on that--after it actually happens. 


No snow, but a light dusting of frost could be found.


This area offers all kinds of recreation-- year round. 








I love trying to capture images and ripples in the water



The clouds on this day were again amazing. 
They have been very neat lately--- blowing in off the mountains and the bay.
Perhaps it has always been this way
I just notice them more now. 


We parked just past the horse trailer parking and took off on some of the many trails around the lake.  Instantly heading to the right, and away from the tennis courts.





This lake side bench offers a great view as well as a place to rest and think. 


On this day it was also a spot for tribute and reflection on the New Year.


     Through the gorge trail, the water trickles ever down wards heading to one of my favorite spots---the bay. 





        We had time for some off trail exploring.    You almost can not make out the kids, because they are wearing camouflage coats.



This up-rooted tree could make a great dry spot.   
Not that it ever rains in Washington!


Huge old trees all around the trails make great sights.
At least in my eyes.


This dew covered leaf appears to be hanging on for dear life.


Pump house.


Of course this is just a small portion of all of the exploring just in this small area of Whatcom.  

Next post finds us once again down by the bay.  
Watching the sun set.




I hope you enjoyed.
In an attempt to gain many more local readers---please pass on the links to this page.



So many trails---so little time.

And as Always

**Happy Trails!!**

No comments:

Post a Comment